Saturday, March 26, 2016

Updates from That Skinny Chick Can Bake

Updates from

That Skinny Chick Can Bake

Where recipe magic happens...

In the 03/26/2016 edition:

Creamy Lemon Tart

By Liz Berg on Mar 24, 2016 01:00 am
This Creamy Lemon Tart was created for a bridal shower. When I learned the bride to be loved lemon, I turned to Dorie Greenspan for her take on a glorious citrus dessert.
Creamy Lemon Tart | A French citrus tart that will dazzle every lemon lover!

Creamy Lemon Tart

I made two of these luscious lemon tarts for a bridal shower last weekend. As with most French sweets, they had just enough sugar and a nice citrus bite. Dorie Greenspan created a creamy filling without cream by using eggs, butter and a blender. Such an intriguing method. Plus her recipe utilized one of my favorite tricks of hers—to rub the lemon zest into the sugar to release all the essential oils from the peel. That provides an extra boost of lemon flavor that makes this one crazy delicious dessert!

Read in browser »
share on Twitter Like Creamy Lemon Tart on Facebook

Holiday Lettuce Salad

By Liz Berg on Mar 23, 2016 01:00 am
My friend, Gini, whips up this gorgeous salad every Christmas! Her Holiday Lettuce Salad is full of candied almonds, apple, mandarin oranges, and dried cranberries. This terrific dish was served at a bridal shower I recently co-hosted and I got numerous requests for the recipe–it’s that good!!!
Holiday Lettuce Salad | Easy enough for any time of the year!

Holiday Lettuce Salad

This salad is simple enough to whip up for a Sunday night family dinner, but also notable enough to serve for a special occasion like a bridal shower or holiday. The candied almonds take a few minutes to cook, but they’re really simple after you get the hang of it. Add the sugar to a saute pan and turn on the heat. Then toss in the almonds and stir. It will take a minute or two before the sugar starts to melt, but you don’t want to hurry things along or you might end up with a burnt mess.  You continue to cook and stir, till the sugar is totally melted and the almonds darken to a golden brown. These sugar coated nuts are part of what makes this an irresistible salad.

Read in browser »
share on Twitter Like Holiday Lettuce Salad on Facebook

30 Spring Recipes

By Liz Berg on Mar 21, 2016 01:00 am
Today I am sharing 30 Spring Recipes that would be perfect on your Easter menu and all the way through June. Some of my favorite bloggers have shared their best recipes of the season. Let me know your favorite!
30 glorious spring recipes for Easter/seasonal inspiration

Spring Has Sprung!

From berries to lemons to asparagus, all your spring favorites are included in these marvelous dishes. What ingredient do you wait with anticipation to arrive?? For me, it’s local strawberries. So sweet and luscious, we eat them by the bowlful. And then I start making strawberry shortcakes!

Read in browser »
share on Twitter Like 30 Spring Recipes on Facebook

Sun-dried Tomato and Spinach Quiche #SundaySupper

By Liz Berg on Mar 20, 2016 01:00 am
This Sun-dried Tomato and Spinach Quiche sure hit the spot when we needed a meatless meal for dinner. Bill was dropping not so subtle hints about making tuna casserole, so I was delighted that this egg and veggie pie was a home run.
Sun-dried Tomato and Spinach Quiche | A memorable Mediterranean Quiche

A Meatless Meal

When I was first married, the only seafood Bill would eat was canned tuna and canned salmon–in casserole recipes from his mom. I’m happy to say I’ve expanded his horizons and he now enjoys shrimp, salmon, crab and even the occasional halibut. But when Lent rolls around, he gets a hankering for tuna casserole made with a can of cream of mushroom soup. This is the same casserole my mom OD’d my dad on when they were newlyweds. I actually don’t mind it, but I can’t handle the mega dose of sodium. So I pretend his repeated requests don’t register and figure out another meatless option. This loaded Mediterranean quiche was last week’s winner. I’ll make him his darn tuna casserole next Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment