Saturday, March 12, 2016

Updates from That Skinny Chick Can Bake

Updates from

That Skinny Chick Can Bake

Where recipe magic happens...

In the 03/12/2016 edition:

Sauteed Cabbage plus 8 More St. Patrick’s Day Recipes

By Liz Berg on Mar 10, 2016 01:00 am
Sauteed Cabbage with Mustard and a smidgen of horseradish makes for an out of the ordinary vegetable side dish.
Sauteed Cabbage | A delightful cabbage recipe flavored with mustard and touch of horseradish!

Sauteed Cabbage

I have a hubby whose 100% Irish mom made corned beef and cabbage every St. Patrick’s Day. I love corned beef. He does not. So for this St. Patty’s Day, I will just add cabbage to the menu. And maybe make a corned beef sandwich for my lunch. I had to coerce Bill to take a bite of this side dish. You know what? He actually liked it! Don’t let the flavorings scare you off—the mustard is subtle and the horseradish adds a depth of flavor without being overt

Read in browser »
share on Twitter Like Sauteed Cabbage plus 8 More St. Patrick’s Day Recipes on Facebook

Strawberry Shortcakes with Olive Oil Cake #BloggerCLUE

By Liz Berg on Mar 09, 2016 01:00 am
These Strawberry Shortcakes with Olive Oil Cake would be perfect to grace your Easter table, though easy enough to whip up all through the summer.
Strawberry Shortcakes with Olive Oil Cake | Tender cake rounds topped with sweetened whip cream and ripe, juicy strawberry slices

Olive Oil Cake for March’s Blogger CLUE

It’s that time again. My Blogger CLUE friends and I are sharing Easter recipes from our assigned blogs. Lucky me was assigned  Annadishes, the lovely blog written by my sweet friend, Anna. Anna hails from Florida, but we’ve been lucky enough to meet up at blog conferences in Seattle and Chicago. I zeroed in on her Olive Oil Cake for two reasons. First, she dolled it up with berries and whipped cream, just my style. Then I saw that the recipe came from Thomas Keller’s amazing Bouchon Bakery cookbook. I was sold

Read in browser »
share on Twitter Like Strawberry Shortcakes with Olive Oil Cake #BloggerCLUE on Facebook

Chocolate Torte

By Liz Berg on Mar 07, 2016 01:00 am
This Chocolate Torte was a post-Valentine’s Day treat for my chocoholic family!
Chocolate Torte | A decadent flourless chocolate torte topped with ganache

Chocolate Torte

We were lucky enough to be treated to a gourmet Valentine’s Day dinner  with some dear friends, but this meant a void in my kitchen. I had no need to bake up an uber-decadent dessert for the hubby, a die-hard chocolate fan. So I spent the week after the holiday perfecting this chocolate torte recipe. 60 ounces (yikes!) of chocolate later, we had a winner

Read in browser »
share on Twitter Like Chocolate Torte on Facebook

Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies #SundaySupper

By Liz Berg on Mar 06, 2016 01:00 am
Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies are created by filling two soft carrot, coconut and pecan-laden cookies with a generous swirl of cream cheese icing!
Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies | All the magnificent flavors of carrot cake in these fabulous whoopie pies

Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies

Our Sunday Supper theme this week is root vegetables. So instead of roasting parsnips or making a turnip mash (the hubby would revolt, I’m sure!), I went the carrot cake route with these whoopie pies. The family did pretty much revolt, though. Katie first asked if I added nuts. Ummm, yeah. The picky hubby doesn’t do nuts, either, and I think coconut is even higher on his dislike list. Our oldest was over for our usual Sunday night family meal and though he was a willing taste tester,  his response was that they “taste like carrot cake.” Period. Well, I guess I would have been disappointed if they didn’t! Not so helpful. I gave up sweets for Lent, but “some” say that Sunday is a free day. Since I wasn’t getting any usable feedback from the family, I considered it my duty to give them a taste. I was only going to eat half, but I just couldn’t let that poor little remnant go uneaten. I even thought of nibbling on a second until I snapped out of my sugar coma and came to my senses. These were terrific

Read in browser »

No comments:

Post a Comment