Saturday, April 2, 2016

Updates from That Skinny Chick Can Bake

Updates from

That Skinny Chick Can Bake

Where recipe magic happens...

In the 04/02/2016 edition:

Mustardy Haricots Verts

By Liz Berg on Mar 31, 2016 01:00 am
Just a few ingredients turn an ordinary vegetable into these flavorful Mustardy Haricots Verts.Mustardy Haricots Verts | Green beans tossed in a mustard vinaigrette and topped with Kalamata olives

Green Beans Mediterranean Style

About as fancy as I get when making vegetables is roasting them with some olive oil and dusting with Parmesan. Or adding some garlic and lemon zest to a saute. But these little tweaks are perfect for holidays or when you want a slightly fancier side dish without a lot of effort. For these green beans, I steamed frozen haricots verts and tossed them with a mustard vinaigrette filled with briny kalamata olives. As Ina would say, how easy is that??

Read in browser »
share on Twitter Like Mustardy Haricots Verts on Facebook

Mascarpone Cheesecake #ProgressiveEats

By Liz Berg on Mar 29, 2016 05:00 am
Topped with balsamic strawberries, this creamy Mascarpone Cheesecake is one of my top 10 desserts. If you love cheesecake, this is a MUST try!
Mascarpone Cheesecake | The most creamy, luscious cheesecake topped with sweetened balsamic strawberries

Mascarpone Cheesecake

The addition of mascarpone cheese works its magic in this Italian-influenced cheesecake. The filling is lush and dreamy. And the berries?? Have you ever added balsamic vinegar and sugar to your strawberries??? They’re phenomenal. Just don’t use a cheap grocery store vinegar. An aged, syrupy balsamic is key. Between having my brother-in-law over for dinner and hosting my book club, this dessert had plenty of taste testers. Dan immediately asked if the recipe was on my blog and I heard plenty of swoons from my book club friends, even one who swears she’s not a cheesecake fan. How’s that for an endorsement??

Read in browser »
share on Twitter Like Mascarpone Cheesecake #ProgressiveEats on Facebook

Greek Lemon Cake #SundaySupper

By Liz Berg on Mar 27, 2016 01:00 am
This lovely, fine-crumb Greek Lemon Cake has a double hit of lemon and is perfect for tea time odessert.
Greek Lemon Cake | A double dose of lemon plus Greek yogurt make for a lovely cake!

A Greek Twist on Lemon Cake

The Sunday Supper team is celebrating the release of My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 by sharing Greek recipes this week. My mom made a few Greek recipes for our family including a lemon soup, pork shish kebabs marinated in lemon juice, garlic and olive oil and the dreaded moussaka.  Back then, eggplant was new to me and my sisters and the lamb wasn’t a favorite either. I know I  when moussaka came up on the menu, there was a bit of a revolt. With that in mind, instead of torturing the picky hubby with an eggplant centered dish, I turned my sights to dessert. His palate is similar to those of immature school girls (shhhh, don’t tell him I’m writing about him again!). So the memories of my mother’s kitchen drew me towards a citrus cake with an extra Greek boost from the addition of thick, creamy yogurt. There’s something magical that happens when yogurt is added to a recipe. In a marinade, the lactic acid gently tenderizes and keeps the meat moist. In a cake or muffin, the yogurt adds a richness, helps the baking soda with its leavening chore, and also makes for a tender crumb. Even though this may not be an authentic Greek recipe, it’s my homage to their fondness for lemons and to the Bundt (“Boont”) cake scene in the original movie that induced hysterical laughter. This was an excellent choice.

Read in browser »

No comments:

Post a Comment