Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Hors D'oeuvres by Betty Davis


episode eleven -- bette davis eyes
1bdappetizer.png
On another thread, we have been discussing pop songs inspired by classic movies and stars. Well, no surprise, there are recipes that have been inspired by them, too. In this case, it's an appetizer that anyone is sure to enjoy, including Kim Carnes.

I discovered this recipe on food.com, but I can see that it is available in other places online (like familyoven.com and recipe-finder.com). I wish I could find out who invented the recipe and give the proper credit, because it's not only fun but healthy. Here it is:


Ingredients:
2 oz goat cheese
12 large seedless grapes
1/4 c. ground nuts

Directions:
Before I describe how to make the hors d'oeuvres, let me explain that I have modified things slightly. The original recipe calls for double the amount of the ingredients listed, which should serve 50 people. I have cut that in half. Also, pistachio nuts are recommended, but I tend to prefer walnuts. I will let you decide which ones work best for you.
First, take the cheese (softened, at room temperature) and pack it around each grape. Then, roll it so that it is perfectly round and smooth. After each one has been shaped, set them in the refrigerator to chill.
After a half hour or so, pour the crushed nuts on a tray or platter. Take the chilled grapes packed with cheese out of the fridge. Then, roll them in the nuts. The nuts should stick to the cheese. Slice them in half and arrange for presentation. They should turn out like you see in the photo above. Enjoy!
imgres4.jpg
    "The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

    No comments:

    Post a Comment